The Miley Cyrus of Young Adult Fiction:
Is there One?
Unless you live under a rock, you have heard about (if not seen) the Miley Cyrus “music performance” at the 2013 VMA’s on Sunday, August 25. It’s impossible to miss, especially if you’re active on Facebook.
Various words have been attached to this girl: skank, disgusting, slut, outrageous, vile, repulsive…the list goes on. She is currently the “villain” of our culture. Parents are outraged, reporters are groveling in the coverage and many of us are asking, “What the hell happened to this girl?”
Sadly, here is one chic who clearly does not know who she is and she is trying to figure it out by meshing a load of different characters into one: Britney Spears, Madonna, Pink, Lady Gaga, even KISS. Sorry Miley, but your lack of originality reeks.
Well, of course, this event got me thinking about the young adult books I’ve read over the years, and I asked myself, “Has there been a character, so vile, that has absolutely repulsed me the way Miley Cyrus just did?” Of course I immediately thought of one specific character:
Bellatrix Lestrange from “Harry Potter”
If you have read “Harry Potter” then you probably understand why I made the connection. Bellatrix is pretty hideous to look at. She’s evil. She’s out to get the good guys. Readers hated her. And when I read various parts of “Harry Potter,” I absolutely despised her character. But does she meet the level of “vile” that Miley Cyrus displayed at the VMA’s? I’m not quite sure. Bellatrix was legit. Original. Miley? Not so much.
So then I thought about a book I recently finished reading: “The Opportunist” by Tarryn Fisher.
There is a character in this book that I wanted to stab. She’s beautiful but manipulative. She’s rich with money but lacking in character. She is Leah Smith. Yes, I despised her. I wanted her OUT of the picture. But was she repulsive and vile? I cannot say that she was…and again, she was pretty original. Miley Cyrus, again not so much.
So, my fellow Young Adult book readers, can you point out a character that is so skanky, repulsive and “unoriginal” that we can easily say, “Now SHE is the Miley Cyrus of Young Adult Fiction” ??? I keep trying to pinpoint one character that can easily match up…but I’ve got nothing. What do you think? If anything, Miley could definitely inspire the creation of one!
- Dear daughter, let Miley Cyrus be a lesson to you (crazyblogginmoms.wordpress.com)
- Miley Cyrus Twerking On Married Robin Thicke (bdentertainment.com)
- Dear daughter, let Miley Cyrus be a lesson to you (ateenagerinthissociety.wordpress.com)
- Justin Timberlake Compares Miley Cyrus at VMAs to Britney Spears (justjared.com)
- 100 Girls Hotter Than Miley Cyrus…Part 1 (charlotte.cbslocal.com)
- Things That Miley Cyrus’ Butt Looks Like (holytaco.com)
- Billy Ray Cyrus: Miley ‘Is Still My Little Girl’ (people.com)
- The Obvious Evil of Miley Cyrus and the Not-So-Obvious Evil of Taylor Swift (thedailybanter.com)