READ IT! (PG-14 for violence)
Veronica Roth is a brilliant, young author. I immediately found myself sucked into the life of Beatrice Prior and the lives she had to choose between when I first read Divergent. With that said, I had a very difficult time reading Insurgent, the second book in Roth’s trilogy.
I was unable to get into a “reading flow”. I constantly found myself distracted by other things, and when I absolutely cannot put down a book, outside distractions are rarely an issue.
In my opinion, the first 300 pages of Insurgent had both positives and negatives. Readers find out a lot if information about Four/Tobias, specifically about his background, his beliefs, and what makes him tick. In addition, information about MANY of the supporting characters bombards the reader –almost to a point where it honestly hinders the progress of reading the story. I found it difficult to keep all of the characters and their stories straight.
However, once I came across this quite, on page 510, everything came full circle for me.
“People, I have discovered, are layers and layers of secrets. You believe you know them, that you understand them, but their motives are always hidden from you, buried in their own hearts. You will never know them, but sometimes you decide to trust them.” -Tris via Insurgent by Veronica Roth
Life is about making decisions and living with those decisions. We are forced to trust, sometimes blindly. Sometimes our trust hurts us and it comes back to bite us in the rear, but other times it is our trust in others is our best and only choice. Nevertheless, the beauty of humanity is in the experience of having a choice and it is up to use to make the best ones.
Therefore, I concluded that despite all the aspects of Insurgent that I did not like (i.e. length, flow, abundance of characters), that one quote made reading Insurgent well worth my time. (As did the unbelievable ending!!!! :))
Have you read Veronica Roth’s Insurgent? If so, what did you think?
- Veronica Roth’s Divergent: A Review of Training, Teachers and Virtues Gone Wrong (fangirlingthroughfiction.wordpress.com)
- Review of INSURGENT by Veronica Roth (writersfoodforthought.wordpress.com)
- Insurgent Review (rebekahfaubionbooks.wordpress.com)
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth Audiobook Review (thereadingdate.com)
- Book Review: Insurgent By: Veronica Roth (ramblingsofayoungoldperson.wordpress.com)
- Book Review: Insurgent. (dailynibbles.com)
- I can seriously say that I am speechless. (faysebastian.wordpress.com)
- Insurgent by Veronica Roth (writingboutreading.wordpress.com)